Wednesday, August 13, 2014

chocolate chip cookie murder


chocolate chip cookie murder
hannah swenson #1
joanne fluke
mystery
kensington
published 2006

Hannah Swenson already has her hands full trying to dodge her mother's attempt to marry her off while running The Cookie Jar, Lake Eden, Minnesota's most popular bakery.  But once Ron LaSalle, the beloved delivery man from the Cozy Cow Dairy, is found murdered behind her bakery with Hannah's famous Chocolate Chip Crunchies scattered around him, her life just can't get any worse.  Determined not to let her cookies get a bad reputation, she sets out to track down a killer.

Who would have the sheer audacity - and the motive - to kill the most punctual delivery man Hannah ever had?  Topping the list is the high school football coach.  What exactly was his wife doing, making the rounds with the milkman? Could Max Turner, owner of Cozy Cow Dairy, have had a secret he didn't want to share with his top employee?  The more Hannah snoops, the more suspects turn up.  Why has Lake Eden's most prominent prodigal son, Benton Woodley, just resurfaced?  And what about the mysterious Mr. Harris who seemed interested in buying the property next to the dairy, but then disappeared?  This is the one murder that's starting to leave a very bad taste in Hannah's mouth.  And if she doesn't watch her back, Hannah's sweet life may get burned to a crisp.

Note: I finished this book over a week ago and I've been so distracted with other things I haven't gotten around to reviewing, which bugs me because I like to review books when they're still fresh in my mind so please excuse the shortness of my review!

I'm not entirely sure what it is that I didn't absolutely love about this book, but there was something.  Hannah is an okay character, although she seems to think she's better at everything than everyone else.  The mystery itself was fun and kept me interested, but after it was over I was kind of bored with the epilogue.  I am excited to try out some of the cookie recipes, even though I don't bake very often!  They sound easy and delicious!  haha  So if anything, it's a good cookbook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much