Wednesday, April 30, 2014

astonishing x-men, vol. 3: torn


astonishing x-men, vol. 3: torn
issues #13-18
joss whedon & john cassaday
graphics/superheroes
marvel comics
published 2007

If you thought their past efforts were full of shocks and surprises, hold onto your eyeballs - because you haven't seen anything yet, as things go from peculiar to just plain bizarre!  Emma Frost's erratic behavior has the X-Men spinning in a non-stop downward spiral.  Will an unlikely union be the final straw?  After secretly lying in wait for months, the new Hellfire Club makes its move!  Plus: The X-Man destined to destroy the Breakworld stands revealed!  Who is it, and what will be their fate?

It's strange to read a book, not understand half of what is going on and still kind of enjoy it.  I have, however pinpointed what it is that keeps me from loving Astonishing X-Men (and X-Men in general).  The fucking psychics.  For me, superheroes/villains as psychics is such a cop out.  Especially the ones that can control other minds.  Thank god Whedon does dialogue well otherwise this would be terrible.

The humor has finally shown up, but there's just so much more that is over my head or I find completely frustrating.  Danger is one of them.  Blech.

I still enjoyed it, it still had me reading, but I'm not in love with the X-Men.  I read another reviewer say something like 'I'm finding lots of things to like about this book, but nothing I love.'  That about sums it up for me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much