Wednesday, September 3, 2014

the collector


the collector
nora roberts
suspense/mystery/romance
putnam
published 2014

When professional house-sitter Lila Emerson witnesses a murder-suicide from her current apartment-sitting job, life as she knows it takes a dramatic turn.  Suddenly, the woman with no permanent ties finds herself almost wishing for one...

Artist Ashton Archer knows his brother isn't capable of violence - against himself or others.  He recruits Lila, the only eyewitness, to help him uncover what happened.  Ash longs to paint her as intensely as he hungers to touch her.  But their investigation draws them into a rarified circle where priceless antiques are bought, sold, gambled away, and stolen, where what you possess is who you are, and where what you desire becomes a deadly obsession...

There is something comforting about Nora Roberts books.  I don't know if it's because she's one of the first 'adult' authors I read as a teen or if it's because her writing, at this point, is so familiar to me, but either way, reading her books is like wrapping myself in a favorite blanket.

The story is, or rather form of it, is slightly predictable even when the characters are sometimes not.  We know that Lila will be independent and 'fiery' and Ashton will be powerful and protective.  We know that she'll have a best friend who is equally beautiful and he will also have a mate who is handsome and can be counted on.  All of these elements are there as I know they will be and yet I'm not bored.

Lila's job is interesting and alluring.  I almost wanted to become a professional house-sitter myself!  The subject of intrigue is interesting insofar as I wanted to Google it as I was reading along.  The book is quick.  Once I got started I finished in a couple of hours and as always, Roberts paints a picture you can immerse yourself in.

Always a good read and despite is predictability, never boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much