Monday, February 28, 2011

Why Kevin Smith is So Rad, Part I

I was going to do a quote post dedicated to the awesomeness that is Kevin Smith, but I have a lot of quotes and some a really long because well, sometimes Kevin lets his characters go on for awhile.  I’ve decided to do numerous Kevin Smith quote posts and this one is just one quote from Chasing Amy, which is most definitely my second favorite Kevin Smith movie.  What’s my favorite, you ask?  You’ll find out another time oh curious friends of mine!

‘Why me, you know?  Why now?’

‘Well, why not you?’

‘Well, I’m a guy.  You’re attracted to girls.’

‘I see you’ve been taking notes.  Historically yes, that’s true.’

‘Then why this?’

‘Well, I’ve given that a lot of thought, you know?  I mean now that I’m being ostracized by my friends I’ve had plenty of time to think about it and what I’ve come up with is really simple.  I came to this on my own terms, you know?  I didn’t just heed what I was taught – men and women should be together, just the natural way – that kind of thing.  I’m not with you because of what family, society, life tried to instill in me from day one.  The way the world is, how seldom it is that you meet that one person who just gets you … it’s so rare.  My parents didn’t really have it.  There were no examples set for me in the world of male/female relationships and to cut one’s self off from finding that person, to immediately half your options by eliminating the possibility of finding that one person within your own gender, that just seemed stupid to me.  So I didn’t.  But then you came along.  You, the one least likely.  I mean you were a guy.’

‘Still am.’

‘And while I was falling for you I put a ceiling on that because you were a guy.  Until I remembered why I opened the door to women in the first place.  To not limit the likelihood of finding the one person who’d compliment me so completely.  So here we are.  I was thorough when I looked for you and I feel justified lying in your arms ‘cause I got here on my own terms and I have no questions there was someplace I didn’t look and for me that makes all the difference.’
-Holden & Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much