Saturday, April 9, 2011

i haven't even finished yet



I never do this, but I can hardly stay in my own skin right now!

I'm on page 280 of 340.  Not even finished with the book, but I must talk about it!  It's a debut novel by Chevy Stevens and it is brilliant so far.  I'm not even kidding you.  Brilliant.

Oh yeah, it's called Still Missing.

Annie O'Sullivan is a thirty-something year old realtor on Vancouver Island.  One day at the end of an open house she's hosting a man abducts her and holds her captive for over a year.  The book is told in sessions instead of chapters.  Each chapter is a session Annie is having with her psychiatrist.  Some days she will talk about what happened to her in that desolate cabin and other times she deals with adjusting to life back at home. 

The story is literally unfolding tiny bits at a time.  Feeling that she can never be safe even after escaping you believe that Annie is just going through what anyone who has been through that unbelievable hell would go through.  Bits of paranoia and terror, but it's more than that.  Suddenly, what has been a slowly revealing story it becomes a heart pounding thriller. 

As I lay here reading it I can feel my heartbeat speeding up and I feel like I can't get enough oxygen!  It's insane!  It's as if Chevy Stevens has lulled you into this sense of calmness only to yank you out and throw you on a busy highway.

But I will stop now.  I'm going to finish the book and then finish my review and post it, but I had to get that out now.  We'll see if the last 60 pages live up to the first 280.

*********Here's where there's some profanity.  Just warning you.*********

Holy shit that book was fucked.  I don't even know what to say except that this was by far the best book I've read this year, maybe even in the last two years.  SO GOOD.  SO GOOD.

I can tell you no more about it because I'm afraid if I keep writing I will tell you everything and then you won't need to read the book and you NEED to read this book.  So I'm signing off now. 

Go get this book.

Now.

1 comment:

  1. Boy can you ever write a book review! At this rate I'll just keep reading your posts to see what my next library pick should be.

    I have an award for you if you want it - happy Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much