Wednesday, April 27, 2011

where she went

Where she went

At first I was a little disappointed to find that this book was told from Adam’s perspective because I really loved Mia so much, but getting into it I don’t think I would have changed one single thing.

This book as was its predecessor was perfect.  (If you haven’t read If I Stay stop reading this review right now and go get it!  I will now be spoiling If I Stay).  It’s been three years since Mia lost her entire family in a horrific car accident.  Three years since she woke up in the hospital and began her life again.  Three years since she walked away from Adam and everything she knew in Oregon.

Adam’s band Shooting Star is now a worldwide sensation, but Adam finds little pleasure in the fame and even in the music.  Wandering around New York trying to escape his demons and fears he finds himself in front of an auditorium featuring none other than Mia.  Before he realizes it he finds himself in Mia’s company one more time for one day before each sets out for their own separate tours.

While this book didn’t have the same heart stopping intenseness than If I Stay had it had it’s own version of intensity.  The writing is just as haunting and real.  I can’t express how much I loved this book despite thinking I wouldn’t.

The writing is amazing.  The only thing I found out of place were the snippets of lyrics from Shooting Star’s breakthrough CD, written by Adam during his dark time.  They weren’t that spectacular, they didn’t speak to me the way they should have.

**********a couple of quotes, slightly spoiler-ish**********

Just like in If I Stay there were moments that I had to stop and write down so I could remember them.  Here’s two:

“I’ve blamed her for all of this, for leaving, for ruining me.  And maybe that was the seed of it, but from that one little seed grew this tumor of a flowering plant.  And I’m the one who nurtures it.  I water it.  I care for it.  I nibble from its poison berries.  I let it wrap around my neck, choking the air right out of me.  I’ve done that.  All by myself.  All to myself.”

“It felt like a gift.  From them.  For my first recital ever, they gave me a cello.  And for this one, they gave me you.”

Seriously people, go read these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much