Friday, April 22, 2011

the library dun-dun-DUUUUNNNN

Today was miracle at the library day.  I’m not joking.

Today I was talking to my sister (well IM-ing because that’s what we do around these here parts) about this story here.  So if you remember from this post here, I hit the library jackpot and got books I was super excited to find.  Four of the eight were 7 day loaners.  Usually the 7 day books are impossible to get and can never be renewed because there’s always a wait list for them.  I’ve been reading three of the four since yesterday hoping to finish by today (the day they’re due), but I'm only about 2/3 of the way through with them.  I hate returning books late.  If you want to know why you can read this post here.

So I signed onto my Santa Clara County Library app on my iPhone (probably my favorite app ever) and crossed my fingers that I could renew at least The Iron Queen because I hadn’t even started that one.  I still have to read The Iron Daughter – which I have.  I was able to renew all four!  This, my friends is what I like to call a library miracle.

When I was online I noticed that I had a couple of books ready for pick up.  One was a vegan cookbook I wanted to try out so I figured I would stop by the library and pick them up.  When I got there, not two, but four books were ready for me to pick up and one of them is The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan.

I had to restrain myself from doing a happy dance in the library. 

Have you read Carrie Ryan’s Forest of Hands and Teeth books?  YOU MUST!  They are AMAZING!  Let me tell you about them.

The first book is called The Forest of Hands and Teeth (duh) and it takes place sometime in the future, but that’s really just a guess.  At some point a disease has spread in the world infecting people like crazy and turning them into zombies.  Mary has lived in her village her whole life and has known nothing else.  As far as she knows there is no life outside of the fences that keep her town safe from the zombies.  Until one day a stranger appears and Mary begins to challenge everything she’s ever been told.

In The Dead-Tossed Waves there’s a completely different set of characters and circumstances and it seems to take place some 15 years or so after TFH&T.  Towns are still protected by fences and guards, but we get a glimpse of what is happening outside the fences and what the disease is really capable of.

I usually am not a big fan of series in which no character from the previous novels are carried over.  What I like best about series book is that you feel like you’ve gotten to know certain characters so well, but these books are just so good.  They’re scary and hopeful and fantastically written.  I'm not doing a very good job of selling these books, I know, I just don't want to give too much away!  You must read these books!

So anyway ... yeah, I’ve got to stay away from the library until I finish these books.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I'm always looking for a good book to read and the Carrie Ryan book sounds like just my kind of book!!

    Side Bar: I just saw on my local news that there was a perp on the loose guilty of crawling under library tables and stabbing people in the foot! So if you live in New England, I suggest reading those books at home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaaaaaat? That is so weird. Now I would understand if he was crawling under tables to peek up skirts, but stabbing people in the foot? That's just bizarre. Lucky for me I check out my books and leave. The longer I stay in the library the more chances I have to get more books. It's sickness, really.

    Let me know what you think of Carrie Ryan!

    ReplyDelete

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much