Thursday, October 20, 2011

well that was unexpected

It's crazy to say since I now have two little girls, but I don't think this body was built for having babies!

My pregnancy and delivery with Emma was difficult.  The pregnancy was hard, but I chalked it up to being the first time and going from 86 pounds to 166 pounds.  My body was not happy stretching out and making room for the baby.  Mostly my rib cage disliked me.  The delivery was difficult because they really wanted me to deliver naturally and Emma just wasn't going to come out that way.  She hung out in the birth canal for a few days, they broke my water and gave me an infection.  Finally, they decided she had to come out via c-section and because I had the epidural in for so many days during the surgery I started regaining feeling very quickly and they ended up just knocking me out.  I got to see her quickly before they did that.  I was pretty worn out and I still had the infection, but once she was out and all that stress was finished things weren't so bad.

This time I'm five years older and let me tell you, that does make a difference.  I started out not being able to stomach eating any kinds of food at all.  I gained barely any weight for about half the pregnancy, but so far nothing too bad.  Then I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and that sucked.  It's not the end of the world and it ended up not being all that bad, but it was definitely disappointing.  I got used to poking my fingers and checking my blood glucose levels and I stayed well within my limits.  It bummed me out not being able to pig out on ice cream or Reese's Fast Break bars, but I guess that was probably for the best!

I was worried about the baby getting too big, but our ultrasound we had on the 4th showed she was just right and the tech estimated she weighed around 6 pounds, 11 ounces.  Then two days later on the 6th I woke up really early in the morning with contractions.  I didn't really think they were anything, but they were pretty strong and pretty regular.  Then they were about 2 minutes apart so I figured it was time to wake up Ray and call in to Labor & Delivery.  They wanted me to come in.

So we woke up our friends (thank you JeNae!) and dropped Emma off at their house and our other friends (thanks Kim!) volunteered to pick her up and keep her until we got home or my sister came to get her.  We headed over to the hospital and they determined that I am a wuss when it comes to contractions.  Yes, I was having them.  No, they weren't very strong and were doing nothing in terms of getting me ready for delivery.  However, my blood pressure was ridiculously high so they wanted me to hang out until it went down.

It didn't go down so they sent me home with a blood pressure monitor and instructions on HOW TO COLLECT MY PEE for 24 hours.  Yes, you read that right.  Sounds fun, right?  It wasn't.  Grossed me out.  But they wanted to test to see if I was developing pre-eclampsia.

But before we could find that out...I'll get back to you on that tomorrow!

Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much