Friday, September 13, 2013

sacred sins


sacred sins
nora roberts
suspense/thriller/romance
bantam
published 1987

In the last lazy days of summer, the merciless two-week heat wave is the biggest story in Washington, D. C. But the weather is finally knocked off the front pages when a young woman is found strangled to death - a priest's white silk amice pulled taut around her throat.  Pinned near the scarf is a note that simple reads 'her sins are forgiven her'.  It is a chilling crime, made even more terrifying when it is followed by a second murder...and then a third.  Suddenly, every headline is devoted to the killer the press has dubbed "the Priest."

The slayings have piqued the interest of Dr. Tess Court, a top-notch psychiatrist dedicated to treating the problems of the human mind.

And when the police make little headway in solving the crimes, Tess is reluctantly thrust into the very heart of the investigation.  Called in to create a detailed psychological profile of the murderer, she comes up with a disturbing and frightening portrait of a twisted soul who believes his is not murdering - but ministering.

I don't remember the first time I read this book, but it had to have been at least 15 years ago.  I don't remember not ever liking a Nora Roberts book from back in the day, but this time, this book, I'm not a big fan.

Mostly, it has to do with Ben Paris.  How Tess falls in love with this man is beyond me.  He is nothing but horribly rude to her for most of the book, even after sleeping with her.  But at the same time her 'he has an illness' take on the killer started to get on my nerves too.

For once, the story just made no sense to me.  Or rather, the love story aspect.  It wasn't about opposites attracting it was just that besides being a dedicated police officer what exactly were Ben Paris's redeeming qualities?  The killings started to get a little tired and I was actually more invested in the side story of Tess's patient Joey than the main plot.  

For my second time around I have to say this is a two-star read for me.  I just couldn't get into the characters or the story and then the conclusion, which did take me a bit by surprise was just kind of wrapped up way too quickly.  But hey, with a bazillion books under her belt not liking one isn't bumming me out any!


No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much