Saturday, August 13, 2011

big plans, my friends … big plans

Yes, I did.  I had big plans.  I was going to edit (and by ‘edit’ I mean add a watermark because I am actually too lazy to edit my photos more than that) all these pictures I’ve taken in the last few weeks and do a bunch of blog posts to catch up on everything that’s been going around these here parts.

I got as far as uploading all the pictures into Picnik, opening the first picture and then deciding I was just too tired and lazy to get into all of that right now.  Yes, I know, I suck.

So instead of updates about all the junk ‘n’ stuff that’s been going on around here you get this post.  Which is about nothing at all really.  Think of it as the Seinfeld episode of my blog.

We are now almost halfway through the month and I have only read 6 of the 20 books I have lined up for the month.  Though I am more than a third of the way through another 6 I fear I will not be able to make it to 20.  Though actually, next week Emma starts school so as long as I keep the house from turning into a toxic waste dump that’s 5 hours a day I could be reading.  Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

In other exciting news on Thursday my friend JeNae and I attended a welcome meeting with two representatives from the Girl Scouts to begin the processes of starting Emma and Autumn’s (JeNae’s daughter, you’ve met her here before) Daisy troop.  I am so excited about this.

I was a Girl Scout from Brownies all the way through High School and then became a leader for 2 years.  I attended the National Convention in 1993 as a delegate chosen by the Board of Directors to speak about being able to substitute ‘God’ in the Girl Scout promise.  Having grown up Jodo Shinshu Buddhist it was an important issue for me.  I spent my entire Girl Scout career making a promise to an entity I did not believe in and I wanted different for other girls.  I spoke in front of thousands of people at the convention and later my speech was printed in the newspaper. 

Girl Scouts was incredibly important to me.  I made friends there that I still have to this day.  I believe that it gave me self confidence and in that time a safe place to land when the rest of the world was too hard to handle.  I grew up seeing how women could do amazing things either by reading about them in Girl Scouts or actually working side by side with them during my years as a scout. 

I earned both my Silver and Gold Award and you know, I still have a huge sense of pride and accomplishment about what I did in my years as a Girl Scout.  I can’t wait for Emma to experience this part of my world.  And she’s coming in during the best time ever!  2012 will mark the 100th Anniversary of Girl Scouts! 

Hopefully, Emma will love Girl Scouts as much as I did … and on that note, it’s time for me to hit the hay!  Goodnight everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much