Tuesday, March 26, 2013

requiem

requiem
delirium series #3
lauren oliver
ya/dystopian/romance
harper collins
published 2013

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ©e of the young mayor. Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.


 this is the past:  it drifts, it gathers.  if you are not careful it will bury you.

And finally, it's over.

Nonstop, crazy action going on here.  If you weren't immersed in the Resistance with Lena you were trapped in a mansion with a crazy man with Hana.  It was pretty much just like that.  Seriously, there was very little down time in Requiem.

Despite being a trilogy with three (four if you count the short Alex at the end of the book) short stories focusing on background characters it is almost as if this story is too big to tell in just three books.  Oliver gives us a chance to write our own endings I suppose as there is so much we don't know at this point.  Who made it out, who didn't and to be certain, whose victory was it to claim?

I was right in dreading Alex's return, but I see why it had to be that way.  I wish ..... I wish there was more.  And not because I want the story to be neverending, but because I feel like there's so many characters that were so fleshed out and we got cheated out of our chance to hear their stories.  Coral, Pippa, Beast, Bram, Tack, Lu, Grace....I don't remember ever reading a book where I wanted to know so much about so many other characters.

At this point I've read Before I Fall, Liesl & Po and the Delirium trilogy.  I have The Spindlers on my Kindle so that one will round out my Lauren Oliver collection quite nicely.  I love that Oliver is diverse in her writing.  Fantasy, dystopian, introspective, what have you, she's not afraid to write it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much