Tuesday, July 5, 2011

disgusted and i can't be quiet about it

Today, like many of you out there I was glued to the screen at 11:15 PST to see what I thought for sure would be a guilty verdict being read in the Casey Anthony murder trial.  To say I was shocked and upset would be quite the understatement.

I have literally been following this story since Caylee was first reported missing almost three years ago this month.  Every day I read or watched anything new that was released.  I knew that she was dead and I knew that her mother had something to do with it, but still when her little skull was found by that meter reader I cried.  She wasn't my child.  I didn't know her and I live across the country from her, but damnit babies are NOT supposed to die, much less be buried in a shallow, unmarked grave.

And I was so angry.  What was wrong with that woman?  Why didn't she care?  Every time I saw her on the news she was smug and fake.  Her sorrow was hollow and empty.

And now she's gotten away with murder.  Lying to the authorities, a possible maximum of 4 years jail time.  It's not enough.  Will never be enough.  After the not guilty verdict was read aloud I gasped and held in my tears as best I could since Emma was in the room with me.  But when all was almost said and done (I turned it off before the last two verdicts were read) I had to go run to the bathroom and cry.  And even now thinking about it brings tears to my eyes.  Blame it on the hormones, but really I think my reaction would have been the same no matter what.

Logically I know that the prosecution's case was largely circumstantial and certainly the DA office is to blame for bringing the case to the courts so quickly.  Maybe if there had been more time to investigate there would be more physical evidence, but this isn't C.S.I. or NCIS.  This is the real world where all the evidence sometimes is what's right there.  There's no Mac Taylor to find the scrap of DNA amidst a mountain of garbage that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that they have the right perp.

I believe there was enough evidence.  Chloroform and decomposition in the trunk of Casey Anthony's car.  Evidence of duct tape on Caylee's body.  I'm sorry, but if you're refuting testimony of an expert from The Body Farm you're nuts.  Again, logically I understand the doubt in that jury's minds and that's important when it comes to our justice system, but I can't get over the fact that there was no doubt in my mind and that Casey Anthony got away with murder.

Not just the murder of someone....the murder of her own child and I will never be able to wrap my mind around that.  Justice will never be served for that little girl.  I can only hope that Casey Anthony's sentence is cut short. And not because of good behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much