Thursday, July 21, 2011

the hollow

48832837

Abbey never imagined that she would spend the summer before her Junior year without her best friend Kristen, much less the rest of her life.  But here she is.  With everyone in the town of Sleepy Hollow believes that Kristen took her own life under the bridge and into the water Kristen becomes both the charity case & the freak at school.  When all seems lost to her she meets Caspian.  A mysterious, gorgeous boy who says all the right things and becomes the answer to all of Abbey’s wishes.  But a secret Kristen was keeping threatens everything and Abbey must decide whether to let the past lie or try to discover the truth.

Sounds good right?  And it takes place in Sleepy Hollow for goodness sake!  I’m still confused about how I feel about this book.  It kept me reading.  Kept me interested, but when it was all said and done I closed the book and thought ‘whaaaaaat???’  I don’t even know what happened there.

Abbey is not the worst character I’ve read.  She’s no Ever for sure, but she’s been created into that annoying can’t-live-without-this-boy-I-am-all-of-a-sudden-madly-in-love-with-though-I-know-nothing-about-him thing that all YA writers seemed to have adopted.  Yes, I was a boy crazy teenager once, but I honestly do not remember being this nutso.  Of course, I never came across a vampire, werewolf, ghost, immortal, mind reader, etc., but I did meet some crazy boys in my day.

The one thing that really annoyed me was how dramatic Abbey would get just out of the blue, but then again she’s a teenager whose dealing with the death of her best friend.  I’ll cut her some slack.

The problem with the story is that is was so dang slow.  I kept waiting….and waiting….and waiting….for the plot to pick up.  To find out this mysterious secret that Kristen had, to figure out the connection between Nikolas, Katy & Caspian was, but Verday just didn’t want to part with that info.  Ugh.  There were giant chapters that were completely unnecessary.  It was just filler.  Like the two chapters dedicated to her cleaning out her uncle’s office and the weird guy who dropped off papers for her uncle to sign.  I didn’t really need to know that.  I wanted to know why Abbey didn’t think it was strange that Caspian’s last name was Crane.

But I’ll read the next book because this one wasn’t the worst thing I’ve ever read and I really have this thing where I’ve got to finish a series (unless it’s really bad, but then I finished reading Ever’s series and that was the worst piece of garbage I’ve ever laid eyes on).  So I have it on hold at the library.  I’ll let y’all know if it’s worth it.

It’s got to get better, right?  I mean it’s Sleepy Hollow for christsakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much