Friday, January 11, 2013

i've got your number


i've got your number
sophie kinsella
fiction/chick lit/idiotic ramblings
random house
published 2012

Poppy Wyatt has never felt luckier. She is about to marry her ideal man, Magnus Tavish, but in one afternoon her “happily ever after” begins to fall apart. Not only has she lost her engagement ring in a hotel fire drill, but in the panic that follows, her phone is stolen. As she paces shakily around the lobby, she spots an abandoned phone in a trash can. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number for the hotel to contact her when they find her ring. Perfect!

When it comes to Sophie Kinsella we sort of have this love/hate relationship.  I hate the Shopaholic books.  I loved Remember Me? and The Undomestic GoddessTwenties Girl was okay.  Unfortunately, I've Got Your Number falls into the 'hated it' category.  And the saddest part?  I only got to page 21.

Sophie Kinsella has a knack for writing the most asinine, bubbleheaded, idiot female characters.  At first, with Shopaholic it was endearing, but by the time I started in on the 4th book she was the same idiot she'd been before.  She didn't learn anything.  She didn't change for the better.  She was still making the same idiotic mistakes!  It drove me nuts.  So I picked up The Undomestic Goddess because my sister liked it and I was surprised to find I liked it too!  Then I read Remember Me? and decided it must just be that I have to take Kinsella's characters in single serving doses.

But then first I was annoyed by the footnotes.  Since I was reading this on my Nook it requires me to touch the footnote number, read the footnote and then go back to the page I was reading.  I couldn't just glace down to read the stupid footnote that she added because the character thought it was clever.  Uh-noying.

And then the character, Poppy is almost more irritating than Becky Bloomwood.  She finds a phone in the garbage and when she's called out that it's not her phone she uses the 'possession is 9/10ths of the law'.  Are you serious?  She continually does this thing where if she just ignores the problem it will go away or the solution will just fall into her lap.  She acts like she's a 5 year old who knows she's going to get in trouble.  Is this supposed to be cute?  Is this what chick lit has come to?

So I closed out of the book, removed it from my library and decided that was the last attempt I make at reading a Kinsella book.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much