Thursday, January 24, 2013

the witness


the witness
nora roberts
fiction/suspense/romance
penguin group
published 2012

Twelve years ago, a young woman named Elizabeth went wild for just one night, and, eventually, tipsy and confused, wound up at the house of a man with a Russian accent. Now, obsessed with keeping her secret, she lives under an assumed name in a remote part of the Ozarks. Her intelligence and secretiveness have captured the attention of local police chief Brooks Gleason, who begins to wonder whether this quiet, attractive programmer might be harboring a dangerous secret.

I really, really liked this book.  I usually always love a Nora Roberts book.  Though they generally follow a certain formula they're always entertaining and always interest me.  This time though, I truly fell in love with Elizabeth Fitch, or rather Abigail Lowery.

To be honest, I'm not sure if it's just because she was an awesome character or if it's because she reminded me so much of the television version of Temperance Brennan.  She was clinical and completely oblivious sometimes but so dang smart.  She was so much fun to read I was very sad when it was over.  I could read a series about her although, I'm happier with the ending Roberts gave her.

Brooks is more or less the typical.  Nora Roberts tends to pair her traumatized, but strong and suspicious women with carefree, but careful men who have breezy, affectionate mothers and welcoming and brazen sisters.  But he was still fun to read with his sharp wit and easy going manner.  He was much more fun than The Search's Simon, that's for sure.

Like I said, I always enjoy a Nora Roberts book, but this is the first book in awhile that made me so deliciously happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much