Tuesday, October 8, 2013

warrior heir


warrior heir
the heir chronicles #1
cinda williams chima
fantasy/suspense/ya
hyperion
published 2007

Before he knew about the Roses, 16-year-old Jack lived an unremarkable life in the small Ohio town of Trinity.  Only the medicine he has to take daily and the thick scar above his heart set him apart from the other high schoolers.  Then one day Jack skips his medicine.  Suddenly, he is stronger, fiercer, and more confident than ever before.  And it feels great - until he loses control of his own strength and nearly kills another player during soccer team tryouts.

Soon, Jack learns the startling truth about himself: he is Weirlind, part of an underground society of magical people who live among us.  At their helm sits the feuding houses of the Red Rose and the White Rose, whose power is determined by playing The Game - a magical tournament in which each house sponsors a warrior to fight to the death.  The winning house rules the Weir.

As if his bizarre heritage isn't enough, Jack finds out that he's not just another member of Weirlind - he's one of the last of the warriors - at a time when both houses are scouting for a player.

This was a re-read for me that falls between the older Nora Roberts books I've been re-reading where I know I've read them, but it's been so long it's almost a new book to me and Twilight where I've read it so many times I almost know it by heart.  I first read Warrior Heir in 2009 when I was really starting to read more YA fantasy novels.  I fell in love with Jack, Ellen, Fitch & Will.  I enjoyed the pacing of the novel.  It was a quick read in the sense that I couldn't put it down.

I thought this was simply a trilogy and I flew through all three pretty quickly.  I think at that point it was kind of billed as only being three books, but then a few weeks ago I saw a free short story set in this universe and that Cinda William Chima is releasing another two books!  The Enchanter Heir & The Sorcerer Heir which totally makes sense.  smh

My review from the first reading:
Fast paced and nail biting!  The story and mythology within the story were fantastic!  Each character was likeable or easily despised, whichever needed!  I loved that Jack was the all around hero.  He was strong and brave and also compassionate and humble.  Fitch and Will were wonderful and the unlikely heroes/true friends and Linda and Hastings were strong and full of chemistry.  I can't wait to see what happens next!

Even though I remembered most of this story I still felt like it was a good idea to refresh my memory and the book is so good and so enjoyable that I wasn't bored reading it again.  It's one of those series that I would certainly recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much