Monday, March 10, 2014

batman: the long halloween


batman: the long halloween
jeph loeb & tim sale
graphics/crime
dc comics
published 2011

Taking place during Batman's early days of crime fighting, this new edition of the classic mystery tells the story of a mysterious killer who murders his prey only on holidays.  Working with District Attorney Harvey Dent and Lieutenant James Gordon, Batman races against the calendar as he tries to discover who Holiday is before he claims his next victim each month.

The title was appropriate.  This was the longest Batman book I've ever read.  Not in length per se, but it how long in felt.  I didn't care for the story, didn't care for the art (which is odd since I have enjoyed Tim Sale's art before) and I really didn't care for this Batman.  Mostly, the Mother's Day period.  I mean, I understand that would be a difficult holiday for Bruce/Batman, but he lost his freaking marbles there and it didn't portray vulnerability (which I think Loeb was going for), but I was just embarrassed for Batman.

I will say this, loved the twist....thought that was worth reading the whole book just for that twist.  So yes, I'd recommend it, but I will say that I didn't think we had to have an entire year of a killer to make it an interesting story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much