Wednesday, March 26, 2014

storm front

storm front
dresden files #1
jim butcher
fiction/fantasy
roc
published 2000

Lost items found.  Paranormal investigations.  Consulting.  Reasonable rates.  No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.  Harry Dresden is the best and technically the 'only' at what he does.  So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal capabilities, they come to him for answers.  For the 'everyday' world is actually full of strange and magical things - and most of them don't play well with humans.  That's where Harry comes in.  Takes a wizard to catch a - well, whatever.

This whole book reminded me a lot of Laurell K. Hamilton's first Anita Blake book, Guilty Pleasures.  Except, of course, Harry Dresden isn't a borderline sociopath.  Mostly, it was just the same sort of genre.  A world where people kind of half believe in the supernatural and some of them are out in the open, but a lot of what the regular people is is just the tip of the iceberg.  Harry works for the police in a semi-official capacity....there's just a lot of similarities.

And like Guilty Pleasures, I really enjoyed Storm Front.  It was a pretty quick read once I finally sat down and got to reading.  I just hope it doesn't go down the same horrible hole that Anita Blake went.

This story was creepy and funny (Bob is probably my favorite character here), but there was lots of emotion, sadness too.  Harry's past, his childhood is something that he touches upon slightly, but it's his mother that I'm curious about.

I got this book as a deal.  The first 6 books in a set pretty cheap so I'll probably read those and see if I want to read the next EIGHT or so!  But as long as we don't go down Anita Blake's path this is looking to be a pretty good series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much