Monday, December 2, 2013

allegiant


allegiant
divergent #3
veronica roth
ya/dystopian/suspense
harpercollins
published 2013

What if your whole world was a lie?
What if a single - revelation - like a single choice - changed everything?
What if love and loyalty made you do things you never expected?

Oh, it's so hard for me to write a review for this book.  There are going to be spoilers in this review.  Major spoilers.  There is no other way for me to do this!


*****GET READY, SPOILERS AHEAD*****

I did not enjoy the back and forth part of the book.  Jumping from Tris's head to Tobias's head chapter by chapter was not well thought out.  If we were reading in third person and it would have been easier.  As it was, sometimes I would forget who I was walking in and it broke the flow for me.  A lot.  This is truly the act of a writer who lets the story develop as it should.  She didn't plot everything out, she let the story come to her.  I can respect that.  If I'm wrong, well then that just sucks.

I can even respect the way it ended.  To tell the truth, I thought the death toll would be higher.  I couldn't fathom an ending that in any way, shape or form left everyone whole and happy.

Some things I felt that Roth just kind of gave up on.  Tobais's solution to ending the war between the Allegiant and Factionless was maybe the best, but it kind of felt like a cop out, anticlimactic.  Although maybe it is the theme of the whole book.  Motherhood.  Family.  The family we are brought in by blood and the family that takes us in.

I don't know yet how I feel about the end, this last book.  I think I need more time to think about it.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much