Monday, December 16, 2013

the dark knight strikes again


the dark knight strikes again
frank miller, lynn varley & todd klein
graphic novels/crime
dc comics
published 2001

It's been three years since the events of The Dark Knight Returns, and everything is just fine.  At least on the surface.  What the world at large doesn't know is that it's a total sham.  A perfectly choreographed, pretty little world where everything that's ugly, or even potentially disturbing, is all nicely wrapped up with neat little ribbons and swept under the carpet.  Only he knows better.  He's watched it fester to near-breaking point, and it's time for the only free man left who can effect any real change to bring it all down around their ears once and for all.

The Dark Knight returns once again with a vitality unseen since the first years of his war on crime.  Together with his army of Bat-soldiers, including Carrie Kelley - formerly Robin, and now the new Catgirl - the Dark Knight wages a new war on a diseased world that's become completely lost.

Much more 'cartoony' than the other Frank Miller books, in my opinion.  And again, the jumbled television or whatever they were, spots were kind of annoying.

This was the first time I read this book, the other Frank Miller Batman stories were ones I read when I was much younger which may account for my meh feelings towards Superman.  Either way, I can't say that I felt all was wrapped up with this book.  There's a Facebook page that I kept thinking about called 'Justice League?  More Like Batman & His Bitches' and yep, that's what was happening here.  My other problem - which is, of course, just me - is that it doesn't feel like a Batman story so much without the Joker.  *sigh*

But still, badass Batman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much