Tuesday, February 14, 2012

tantalize: keiren's story

 
tantalize: kieren's story
cynthia leitich smith & ming doyle (artwork)
tantalize series
graphics/ya/horror/suspense/fantasy
candlewick press
published 2011

This is a retelling of the novel Tantalize, but from Kieren's point of view instead of Quincie's.  Kieren is a hybrid werewolf.  His family has to keep their were status a secret and in a few short weeks Kieren will be leaving to join a pack.  He's been putting off telling Quincie, his best friend and biggest crush, but when strange, bad things start happening in their town - all centered around Quincie's family restaurant - Kieren knows he can't leave until he makes sure Quincie is safe.

I wasn't a huge fan of the novel, but I thought it was kind of fun.  It seemed silly and I wasn't really sure if it was that way on purpose.  Reading this graphic novel I felt like they were trying really hard to be serious.  Somewhere in the retelling all the fun got left out and now it just seemed corny.

The artwork was definitely not my cup of tea.  I thought it looked awesome - from the cover, but the cover artwork was done by Sam Weber.  Newcomer Ming Doyle's style just isn't my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much