Tuesday, June 28, 2011

i don’t like this turn of events

A couple of weeks ago when Ray was in Burlingame I had put Emma to bed and was in the living room on my computer or something.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw something fly by me up to the window we have next to the TV.  At first I thought it was 2 mosquito eaters making out … it was really big.  I went and grabbed a fly swatter and when I got closer I discovered it was not two mosquito eaters, but one of these:

DSC_4884(edited)
Of course, in this picture it looks huge, but you know what, that is pretty freaking close to life sized right there.  It’s about an inch and a half to two inches long and though it looks pretty frail with its weird skinny stick body I had to hit it full on 5 times before it died.  I sucked it up with the dust buster (which in our house is merely a bug vacuum) and was creeped out for awhile.

Then today while Emma was eating her lunch ANOTHER ONE flew by in the living room!!  I called out to Ray and grabbed the vacuum this time thinking I would just vacuum the thing up.  I did that.  Let the vacuum run for awhile and it was STILL ALIVE in there.  We have a Dyson.  It’s supposed to be all-powerful.  This wasp is more powerful!

It’s called a mud wasp and they build their nests on the overhang of your roof.  While we haven’t found a nest anywhere we have this awful climbing, flowering plant that grows up along the sides of our garage and partially covers the overhang.  I’m pretty sure that’s where they’re lurking planning out their world domination.  Or at least domination over our house.

Stupid bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much