Saturday, June 25, 2011

my tv dream may be coming true

I’m going to tell you right now that I’m going to be talking about True Blood, the show & the books.  Not really in depth so I’ll try not to spoil anything for you if you haven’t read or watched and want to.  Mostly, I’m going to be talking about this guy:

alexander-skarsgard-20090804-527583

alexander-skarsgard-2010-4alexander-skarsgard

It was reported the other day that this season of True Blood would be based on Charlaine Harris’s fourth book, Dead to the World.  If you’ve read the first three Southern Vampire series books you must go out and get this one because it is THE BEST.  So I am way too excited that this HBO series is giving Alexander Skarsgard more time.  Ray said last season was all about him so what am I talking about, but really this is something completely different.

I’ve always been on the fence about the TV series. I love the books. They’re fun, racy, exciting, frustrating and suspenseful, but the series is just on this side of bizarre.  The whole season of Tara and Eggs and Maryann was overkill and awkward.  In the book, that whole thing lasted about a chapter, maybe a chapter and a half.  I would much rather have spent my time with Sookie in Dallas than stay in Bon Temps with that ridiculousness.

Since the books are all told from Sookie’s point of view most of the characters on the show don’t have such a big showing.  Of course, Eric, Bill & Pam are ever present as well as Sam, but Tara & Lafayette are merely spoken of once or twice in each book if even that and they aren’t the same characters as their TV namesakes.

It doesn’t help that I can’t stand Bill and Sookie.  In the books Sookie is awesome.  On the TV show, she’s a little dumb and wishy washy.  Hopefully this season will give us a stronger, more independent Sookie.  Oh yeah, and the fairies that the critics had a field day over … yeah, Charlaine Harris did a MUCH better job at incorporating the fairies into her books.  I don’t even know what the writers at HBO were thinking.

Basically, this season had better be the end all for me.  If they screw up this book I’ll probably drop it.  Though if Alexander Skarsgard remains on the show I guess I can’t really give it up, can I?

Now Jen, I want you to go out and read up to Dead to the World.  Then we’ll talk.  Because right now, you’re talking crazy.  Ca-ray-zee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much