Sunday, January 30, 2011

& My 20+ Year Relationship with this Man Continues Happily …


I can honestly say that I have never read a Dean Koontz book that I didn’t thoroughly enjoy.  He writes everything from gross out horror to scientific marvels that boggle (my) mind to children’s books about his dog Trixie.  My favorites though, have always been the fast-paced, suspenseful, unbelievable thrillers like Intensity or Tick Tock.

Relentless is about a novelist (Cubby) with a quirky sense of humor married to a children’s book writer/illustrator (Penny) who grew up blowing things up (what??), their genius science prodigy 6 year-old Milo (you have to be a genius to get away with that name) & the ever mysterious family dog, Lassie.  After being poorly reviewed by an infamous book critic they find their lives turned upside down.

The book is fast, it is intense and it is funny.  Koontz injects a couple of well placed sentences that not really foreshadow as much as tell you what will happen.  At this point in the book you might be tempted to throw the book or Nook or Kindle or eReader across the room and never pick it up again.  I urge you not to do this.  For starters you should never put a book down more than halfway through and never go back to it.  That is criminal.  And secondly, should it be some electronic reading device you may break it and that would be costly and wasteful.

But really, because the book is so damn good and you may just be able to predict the ending, but I doubt it.

I didn’t and I’m really (kind-of) smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much