Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I Really Do Have Friends ... I Swear

I think I mentioned before that I do not make friends easily.  I'm standoffish and constantly afraid of whatever vitriol will spew forth from my mouth at any given time.  Somehow I have accrued friends who are sweet and nice.  I have no idea why they are friends with me.  A few of them are religious.  I wonder if maybe they think they can covert me.  Maybe I'm a project?

Well, better if I don't question it, right?

Anyhoo ... since Emma started preschool I have actually made friends.  They are these hilarious women whose kids play with my kid and now we all go play together.  Over the winter break we thought we'd take the kids to Pump-It-Up, but having no foresight whatsoever we didn't think about it being the last day of vacation and rainy and completely full.  The best thing about Morgan Hill is the Centennial Recreation Center or the CRC.  It has everything, including an indoor pool with a shallow play area.  The kids love it.  So we took them all there since we're members and JeNae decided (as the last holdout) to give in and get a membership.  (The best perk is the discount we get at the preschool for being CRC members)

Of course, I thought, this is awesome!  Work out buddies!  But really, I just figured it would be great to sit and gab with some friends while the kids swim.

JeNae has had other ideas.  We took a step class on Tuesday.  It was not fun.  Apparently, they don't need to advertise in the class schedule that something is an intermediate/advance class.  So there we were.  And at first I thought, well really, how difficult can stepping be?  Oh, I found out it can be extremely difficult.  Extremely.  This wasn't stepping!  This was dancing around and on a platform that constantly wanted to move out of my way.  Like I am so scary it did not want me to step on it.  I swear I almost fell 176 times.  And once, my shoe scraped so loudly off the side that everyone in the class turned around thinking someone had died.  And I pretty much was.  Dead, I mean.

Today we decided to workout on the machines since there weren't any 'fun' classes.  JeNae seems to have much more coordination than I do.  She thinks Zumba might be fun.  Julie & Kim say it is and it kicks your butt, which I'm okay with.  But fun?  If my coordination efforts in step class are any indication I don't think Zumba is going to be fun for me.  But I'll try it out.  Give everyone a good laugh. 

So anyway, my legs are like rubber from jogging for a half hour on the treadmill wondering how in the hell the couple next to me are sprinting whilst discussing how so-and-sos from their wedding are going through financial difficulties.  Sprinting.  And discussing.  Freaks.

But really, it's nice to get out of the house in the evening and do something.  Emma and Autumn get to go do fun crafts and play around at the Kid's Zone and I get to sweat and maybe lose some of this baby fat I've been carrying around for 5 years.  I'm sure Ray appreciates having the house to himself for an hour or so too.  So I guess I'll keep going.  If anything it's fun to watch the elderly run laps around me.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention.  The woman who was the star of the step class and was much easier to watch and follow than the instructor?  She was about eleventy-hundred years old.  Pretty much everyone in the class had about 30 years on JeNae and I.  I want to be them when I grow up.  Which means I'm going to have to do more step.  Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much