Saturday, March 19, 2011

Well, Yes, I’m a Geek.

I used to watch movies a lot.  A lot a lot a lot a lot.  Lately they’ve kind of taken a backseat to reading and other stuff.  I think I’ve mentioned before the gross amount of TV I have backlogged as well.

There’s quite a few movies slated to be remade (or as they call it now ‘rebooted’ so as not to seem tired and boring).  I can honestly say that I have never once been excited about a remake.  There have been ones that I’ve liked, but I never heard of a remake and thought to myself, now that sounds like a good idea.
So it got me thinking about movies I do love and because you all know how I love my lists I’ve decided to compile a list of my faves.  These aren’t in any particular order.  If I were to do that I would be here all day.
  1. Dream for an Insomniac – Beautifully written, dialogue centric.  This movie literally changed my life.
  2. Annie – I still know every song and have the greatest memories of playing Annie in my cousins' closet.  Pretending we were all orphans trying to escape after Ms. Hannigan locks us up.
  3. Grease – For some reason my mom thought this movie was appropriate for children.  Of course, it wasn’t until I was older that I realized just how scandalous those songs were!
  4. Charade – Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant.  Comedy, romance, intrigue.  Need I say more?
  5. Casablanca – I remember thinking that this movie was probably going to be overrated.  Oh, but it wasn’t.  It’s called a classic for a reason people!
  6. You’ve Got Mail – *gasp* A remake??  Yes, but out of the Meg Ryan & Tom Hanks pair ups this is my favorite.  I love the script, I cry every time she sees herself twirling with her mother in the bookstore and it’s about books!
  7. Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi – I loathe the newest additions to the Star Wars saga, but these three (in my mind they will always be the first three) were the most amazing and perfect movies I had ever seen as a kid – and they still are.
  8. Chasing Amy – Oh, Kevin you slay me with your words.  The dialogue in this movie is priceless.  Do people really talk like this?  Who cares!  It’s so awesome and even though he’d done amazing things before this (ahem Clerks!) this is the movie that put Kevin Smith on everyone’s radar.
  9. Clerks & Mallrats – I love the quote-ability of Kevin Smith’s movies, but these are the classics and they are not to be messed with.
  10. Memento – This movie blew my mind the first time I saw it.  Genius.
  11. Amelie – charming, sweet, funny and in French!
  12. The Godfather Part II – The first was great, the third was okay, but the second was my favorite.  And the reason why I always loved Robert DeNiro.
  13. A Place in the Sun – This was the first black and white movie I had ever seen.  I was sick, home from school and it was on Channel 36.  Not only is this movie based on a book, but it was also a remake!  Originally a book, An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser (which was based on a true story) the movie of the same name was released in 1931.  When Paramount began to make noises about not making A Place in the Sun, director George Stevens sued them for breach of contract.  His movie began filming in 1949.  Elizabeth Taylor was only 17 at the time and she was exquisite.  I remember being stunned by her beauty and the story was so heartbreaking and tragic.  It was a piece of art.
I could probably go on and on some more, but I fear you would all either lose interest or find my taste in movies to be nuts.  Though, I will readily admit that most, if not all of the movies I would add to this list haven’t seen a movie theatre in at least 10 years.  You’ll also be so kind to note that I didn’t include any of the Twilight, Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings movies.  While I love them, I love them more for being a visual version of books I love more than just movies I love.  But I still love ‘em!

So what’s on your list?  Are there any movies coming out soon that you’re excited for?  I think the only thing I’m excited about right now is Sucker Punch.  It looks AH-Mazing!

3 comments:

  1. There was a remake of Charade called What happened to Charlie? or something like that with Mark Wahlberg and Thandi Newton, I believe. Not the same. I love Grease! who would you recommend for the characters? Zachary Efron for Danny? Or is he done? How about Sandy! Taylor Swift?

    Fun post! I'm visiting from Comment Love Day!
    Jen Hemming and Hawing Again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from Comment Love.

    I have seen and love most of those movies too! Btw, if you love Kevin Smith dialogue (who doesn't?) you can hear him on is very own podcast network: The Smodcast Podcast network. He does a whole bunch of shows but the two I like listening to are Smodcast (him and Scott Mosier) and Jay and Silent Bob Get Old (him and Jason Mewes).

    Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jen HaHA - That Charade remake sounds familiar, but I haven't seen it! I think they already did a remake of Grease though. Wasn't it called High School Musical?? It's funny I thought it was so lame-o when it came out, but then I realized it really was just Grease for this younger generation. *sigh*

    @TriGirl - Oh yes, I listen to every single Podcast on the Smodcast network. I can't wait for the radio station! Kevin Smith is the man I would leave my husband for.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much