Tuesday, September 20, 2011

ten day challenge, day eight

Let's just jump right into it, shall we?  Three movies.  These are probably not your favorite movies!  I have weird taste in movies I think.  Now, I've already briefly discussed these movies way back in the day so if you're a regular reader of the blog sorry for the repeat!

1.  Dream for an Insomniac.  Sounds silly, but this movie literally changed my life.  I was living in Texas where my ex-husband (before he was the ex) was attending his A-School for the Navy.  I watched this movie 100 times.  I was Frankie.  Literally, everything that came out of her mouth I could relate to.  The way her friends saw her, well, that was me.  To top it off she was an insomniac and guess what??  So was I!  But it was the line 'Anything less than mad, passionate, extraordinary love is a waste of your time.  There are too many mediocre things in life to deal with and love shouldn't be one of them.'  Here I was living in this horribly run down pay-by-the-week motel in a town where I knew no one, basically all by myself to be closer to a man that I just didn't love anymore, if ever.  When I thought about those words I realized that I was wasting my life away, living for someone else and I just wasn't going to do that anymore.  So I didn't.  And I made the best decision I've made in all my life.  And I'm sure that at some point I would have come to that conclusion myself, but hearing those words on my little tiny motel TV just made it happen sooner.


2.  Another dialogue centric movie.  Kevin Smith's third movie and the third in the Jersey series, part of the View Askewniverse.  Chasing Amy is probably my favorite Kevin Smith movie maybe tied with Mallrats.  I love Alyssa's reasoning for being bi-sexual and Silent Bob's Chasing Amy's story.  Where Mallrats was pretty much hilarious all the time, Chasing Amy has moments of poignancy that seemed to resonate with me.  And just like the other two in this list I could, and have, watch this movie over and over again.


3.  A Place in the Sun was the first black and white movie that I watched of my own choosing.  I stayed home sick from school on day and Channel 36 was showing classic movies.  This one started and I just didn't get up off the couch to change the channel (we didn't have a remote control).  But I was quickly engrossed in the movie.  The plot was suspenseful and full of irony, but more than that Elizabeth Taylor at 19 years old, was flawlessly beautiful.  I spent years trying to figure out what this movie was called (again, beside not having a remote there also was no imdb.com).  It definitely jump started my love for the classics and though I've not seen too many Elizabeth Taylor or Montgomery Clift movies the black and whites will always be among my favorites.

If you missed the first seven days and are curious about them you can find those:


Photobucket



No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much