Saturday, February 19, 2011

Books, Books, Books

I get a lot of friends who ask me for book recommendations.  And why not, I’ve read A LOT of books in my time.  Now, I’m not going to be one of those people who tells you that you must read the classics or socially aware books ‘cause those aren’t really my favorites so feel free to look down your nose at my selections!

what-we-keep
What We Keep by Elizabeth Berg

During the plane ride across country that will take Ginny Young to see the mother she has not seen in 35 years Ginny thinks back to the last summer she spent with her mother.  Elizabeth Berg writes a story that is quietly powerful and amazingly lyrical.

010608_Twilight_The_Twilight_Saga_Book_1
The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

When Bella Swan leaves sunny Phoenix for the ever cloudy Forks, Washington she never thinks that the place she dreads to go will be the place that forever changes her life … and death.  Of course, I must include this series, mainly the first.  There’s something about the first book in a series that is unforgettable.  Despite loving the rest of the series Twilight will always be my favorite.

32439
Intensity by Dean Koontz

Unable to sleep in the home of her best friend’s family Chyna becomes the only witness to the brutal murder of her friend’s family and the kidnapping of Laura.  Knowing she must do whatever she can to save her best friend she sneaks onto the killer’s RV until she can figure out how to save them both.  And then she discovers the name of the sociopath’s next victim and she knows she must save this stranger and destroy her enemy.  The book takes place in maybe a 24-36 hour time period and the title says it all.  One of the most intense novels I’ve ever read.

51108
The Language of Threads by Gail Tsukiyama

The Language of Threads is actually the sequel to the Women of the Silk which I didn’t read.  This story follows a young woman, Pei and her young charge Ji Shen in Hong Kong in the 1930s.  It’s a story of determination and survival and the lengths one woman will go through to help those who have helped her.

14050
The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

A love that literally stands the test of time.  A beautiful story about a time traveler and the woman who falls madly and deeply in love with him.  I was hesitant to read this one at first.  I thought time traveling wasn’t really my thing and the back and forth telling of time took a little getting used to, but once I was in I was invested.  It was a brilliant blend of science fiction and romance.  Just be prepared with a box or two of tissues nearby.

1617875
My Best Friend’s Girl by Dorothy Koomson

Another tearjerker.  And when I say tearjerker I mean more like tsunami of tears and snot.  This book broke my heart, but it was so beautiful.  Kamryn agrees to meet her former best friend, Adele who years ago did something that Kamryn could never forgive.  What Adele has to ask Kamryn will once again change her life.

e5a769d2e2585e21f42159e918b61912d04c5b49
Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

Okay.  If you don’t know anything about this series I would ask that you please crawl out from under the rock you’ve been under.  If you haven’t read them I ask you, why?  If you’ve started to read them and ‘just couldn’t get into it’ I question whether or not you are actually human.  And that is really all I need to say about that.

Go forth and read people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much