Thursday, February 17, 2011

The War of the Onlys

Today I read this blog post about Katie Holmes.  I’m not a big fan, never really have been and I’ve definitely never been a fan of Tom Cruise.  I like some of his movies, but he’s too crazy Scientology for me.  Plus he lost Nicole Kidman and she is perfect so you do the math there.

The author is saying that Katie Holmes was overhead discussing her ‘reason’ for having another baby being that Suri would like a brother or sister to play with and it’s hard to say no to Suri.  The author said she got a good laugh out of that one because it was such a silly reason to have a baby.

Not knowing Katie Holmes personally or having been part of that conversation I can’t say for sure, but I’m pretty certain this is not the only reason she would like to have another child.  And if it is a silly reason, than I too am silly.

Of course, I want another child because we always thought of having a few kids.  Ray and I both have siblings and couldn’t imagine Emma being an only child.  But a big reason, in my heart is that I want Emma to have a companion.  Growing up I always knew that my sister or brother were there.  If the world fell apart under my feet I would be able to hold onto them.  I know that no matter what I will never be alone.  I will never have to face something scary or uncertain by myself because I have them.

How is that silly?  I don’t know.  You’ll have to ask Jeanne Sager who apparently knows the answer.  And for the record I have nothing against Jeanne or her writing, just this subject.  She wrote a great commentary standing up for Lara Logan that I wished I had written.

Now, don’t get me wrong I love poking fun at celebrities.  I had many a chuckle over Katie Holmes’ whackjob of a husband over the years.  I just feel like this woman was using a conversation out of context and in turn telling millions of couples that they too were dummies for wanting multiple children.  And I’m not the only one.  Going through the comment section many people disagreed with her.

It got me thinking about the way people judge others and their ideas on procreation.  There’s the Duggars who have a bajillion children.  I don’t have any problem with that.  I know there’s the whole argument that the kids never really get to be kids because they’re always helping to take care of their siblings or that they don’t get enough attention because there’s a bajillion children in the house at all times, but you know, I thought it was kind of cool to have grown up with all those brothers and sisters.  Until they had this last baby who was born premature and with complications.  Then I thought, well that sucks.  Then afterwards when the couple said they would most likely have more children if God blessed them with more.  Then I was thought, whoa people, it’s time to knock that crap off.  Maybe this is God’s way of saying it’s time to stop.  I don’t know how God works, but that’s just my opinion.

Then there’s the Jon & Kates of the world.  I refuse to watch anything on TLC now because they’re the ones who inflicted those people on me.  What a nightmare.  I watched the first season because let’s face it, those kids were freaking adorable.  I was always amazed at how they were only a quarter Korean but looked full.  But then Kate started to get on my nerves and I just stopped watching it.  And then the shit hit the fan a couple of years later and I felt both sorry and irritated with them.  I just wanted them to get off the TV and the internet and the magazines.

Wow, so that was off the subject.  What I wanted to say about them was how people think they’re nuts for not reducing the number of embryos once they found out how many they were having.  I’m not religious, but I get it.  Those are your babies.  You wanted those babies.  You went to great lengths to be able to conceive those babies.  How do you take any away?  I hope that’s something I don’t ever have to think about.

I don’t even know why I felt the need to blog about this!  It just really irritated me and when things irritate me I must blab about them.  Sorry guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much