Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Wish

about_cvr
Wish is the first or a two part series by newcomer Alexandra Bullen  I got the book when it was offered for free by the Sony eReader store.  It probably wouldn’t have been on my radar before then, but it sounded interesting so I thought, why not?

Olivia Larson and her parents move across the country to get away from the ghosts of their past.  Namely, Olivia’s twin sister Violet, who died tragically.  In a new town and quite shy Olivia is floating along, lost until she meets Posey, a mysterious tailor. 

The story is your run of the mill YA book, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t worth reading!  Alexandra Bullen does a great job of capturing the sorrow and emptiness that Olivia feels after losing Violet.  She created characters full of life and kindness without a sense of falseness.  She firmly placed the story in San Francisco, bringing the city to life in her book. 

That was probably my favorite thing about the book.  I could literally picture every place they were at during the story because I have been there, seen them.  I was surprised to find that Bullen didn’t live in the Bay Area!

A great read, I highly recommend it!  I plan on getting my hands on the sequel Wishful Thinking immediately!

2 comments:

  1. I want to read this one really BAD! Great review!

    I got this comment on the sign up page for the YA challenge and I'm passing it along to the participants....It's only good for participants of the YA challenge.

    "Hi there! I'd be happy to donate free digital copies of my book Covert Youth Agency, The Case of Tangled Love to 2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge participants.
    Just email me through my site: www.jasonancona.com (under "contact") and reference the 2011 YA Reading Challenge.

    Also, book bloggers, please let me know if you'd like to review my latest YA novel: Debugging Tori Redding. Info about it on my site.
    Thanks!
    Jason"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jamie! I'll be sure to contact Jason. CYA looks like something I'd get into!

    ReplyDelete

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much