Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Girl Who Captivated the World

larsson
I finally sat down and read the last in the Millennium Trilogy.  I’d been putting it off for some time now because I just didn’t want to be done with it.  Knowing that there is really no chance there will ever be another book, at least not one written by Larsson, made me drag my feet.

I suppose it was a satisfying ending to an excellent trilogy.  Lisbeth is one of my favorite book characters.  She’s tough, yet slightly vulnerable.  Incredibly smart and despite her better judgment quite moral.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was slow to start for me.  The financial process in the beginning of the book was not only over my head, but incredibly boring and I almost put the book down.  I had read the book before it became a hit so I hadn’t heard anything about it yet, but I powered through it anyway.  And I’m glad I did.  It was a brilliant book.  The characters were rich and full and the story was so mysterious and suspenseful.  I loved it.

The Girl Who Played with Fire jumped right into the action, but it kind of felt like it was a filler to get to the last book.  The focus on Lisbeth was gripping and frustrating and the fact that readers had to wait until the next book to get resolution was unexpected.  Especially since the first book was more like a stand alone type novel.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest took quite some time to get going for me, but watching the conspiracy unfold was excruciating!  I didn’t really get into the book until the last third, about the time of the trial.  I couldn’t wait to see what everyone had up their  sleeves.

There were a few things that seemed unnecessary to me.  One of them being the off shoot of Berger to SMP.  I thought it would somehow tie into the story as a whole, but not so much.  I won't go into the others because I don't want to spoil anything for you, so when you finish reading it, which you most definitely should do, let me know what you think.

Still, one of the best trilogies I’ve ever read.  It is so sad that Stieg Larsson didn't live to see his books’ successes, but what a success it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much