Wednesday, April 27, 2011

city of fallen angels

6752378

First of all let me say that I loved the first three book in The Mortal Instrument series.  I loved each and every character, but I especially loved Simon.  When I heard that there would be another book in what I thought was a trilogy I was super excited.  Mostly because I had also heard that the book would be Simon’s story.

This wasn’t quite what I expected.

Yes, Simon was much of the focus of the story and yes, Cassandra Clare doesn’t really disappoint when in comes to bringing back all the characters I love, but was this book necessary?  No, not really.

Let me tell you what I liked about City of Fallen Angels.
  1. It was kind of a kick to see Camille and hear mentioning of Will from the Clockwork Angel book.  I like those kind of tiny little crossover bits.
  2. Simon.  He’s just a great character.  A good person, a good vampire and really, a story waiting to be told.  She could do so much with his character, there’s still so much left unresolved (as it was left in City of Glass as well).
  3. Isabelle is awesome.
Now, let me tell you what I didn’t like.
  1. I really just wanted this to be a new story, but it wasn’t.  It just seems to be a continuation of a story everyone thought was finished.
  2. Jace & Clary’s yo-yo relationship.
  3. The fact that there will be at least 2 more books.  I have the awful feeling that Clare is just going to drag this shit out.
  4. Once, when I was holding the book while watching something on TV I glanced down and noticed “Soon to be a Major Motion Picture from Sony Pictures”.  Ugh.
I still loved this book more than Clockwork Angel.  I think because I already knew and enjoyed these characters.  I felt like Clockwork Angel was just the same characters with different names, like it was a rip-off of the Mortal Instruments.

And you can bet that I’ll be reading the rest, no matter how long she drags it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much