Tuesday, April 12, 2011

i reserve the right to leave love notes in the lunchbox

First of all I’d like to say that I know I’m not the greatest parent in the world.  Sometimes we run out to eat a Happy Meal instead of cooking something for dinner.  Sometimes I let her have a cookie instead of encouraging her to have carrots or celery for a snack.  But I’m trying to do better.

However, just because I don’t make the best food decisions for my child does not mean that someone else should make them for me.  I read this article today about a school in Chicago that has banned homemade lunches.  Students are now required to either pay for a school lunch or go hungry.  School lunches at this particular school cost $2.25 a day.  To some that’s not a lot of money, around $45 a month, but to others that’s about twice what they pay to make a healthy lunch for their kids and they can’t afford that extra expense a month.  Then of course, the way it always seems to work, they make too much money to qualify for the free or reduced cost lunch program.

My parents always made our lunches.  Getting to buy a school lunch was a special treat.  My mom & dad made sure they took the time every morning to pack something that was both good for our bodies and our hearts.  I went to school every day carrying a piece of my parent's’ love with me.  I always got a note on my napkin encouraging me to have a good day and reminding me how much I am loved.

I will do that for Emma when she starts school.  If someone tries to take that right away from me you can be sure I will fight that tooth and nail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much