Thursday, April 14, 2011

scary kari gets scared

I wrote this post about the award that Ixy gave me the other day and I mentioned my fear of clowns.  Ixy was intrigued.  Then only of my other fave bloggers Busy Bee Lauren did a post about things that scare the crap out of her so I thought I would do a little post about scary stuff.

There really isn’t a lot that scares me I think.  Off the top of my head I can think of two books, 3 movie moments and then of course there’s my Coulrophobia.  No, I did not know that word off the top of my head.  I had to google that and just freaked myself out by the lovely pictures that accompanied that. 

I really don’t know when my fear of clowns started.  I feel like I’ve always hated them.  I do know that I read It by Stephen King at a REALLY young age so that must be where it comes from, however I don’t really remember being scared by that book.  I mostly remember being confused because he kept flip flopping from past to present and the events were so similar I kept getting lost.  Anyhoo…that is my only explanation for this.  And I can read about them.  It doesn’t really scare me to read about clowns or hear the word ‘clown’, but seeing them….well, that’s a whole ‘nother story.

There is something terribly wrong about a man covering up their face with makeup, creating a whole new expression on their face to hang around with children.  There is something off putting to me about anyone covering their face for any reason.  Generally, if I can see them coming I can brace myself and deal with it.  My family is really good at helping me.  My brother and I watch a lot of the same TV shows.  If there’s a clown on a show he would warn me beforehand.  My parents once gave me a cookbook by these two guys who dressed up as clowns.  My dad went through the book and covered up all the clown pictures.  Ray will avert my attention whenever we come across some clown picture of actual clown person.  It actually happens a lot more than you’d think.

Now when I’m taken by surprise mostly bad things happen.  I was at Blockbuster once scanning the movies and my eyes glanced right over a cover of a documentary on John Wayne Gacy.  I was going to post a picture of the cover here, but I couldn’t do it.  So you can see it here if you like.  So I glanced at it and moved on, but for some reason my eyes drifted back before I could grasp what I was seeing.  Then everything kind of went black and there was a guy next to me trying to help me up off the floor asking me if I was okay.  It’s a really freaky cover people.

I hate clowns.

Even just writing about it now is bothering me.  And like I said, it doesn’t even have to be the standard clown.  I so badly wanted to see Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland that I spent the year before the movie came out desensitizing myself to Johnny Depp’s Mad Hatter and even then there were some iffy parts.

The funny thing is scary movies don’t scare me.  Horror genre books bore me.  So when I say I am scared of clowns, believe me that to me there is nothing scarier than a clown.

Stupid clowns.

1 comment:

  1. OK, that is a really creepy picture. I don't think it would have deprived me of oxygen, but I can see how it might cause shaky legs in someone who was already freaked out by clowns. Kind of like how I feel when I see a picture of one of those bird-eating spiders.

    ReplyDelete

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much