Friday, April 8, 2011

these things hidden

these-things-hidden

Sometime last year I picked up The Weight of Silence, a debut novel by Heather Gudenkauf.  As I’ve said before I shamelessly judge books by their covers and this book’s cover intrigued me.  I loved it.  So when I saw Heather had a new book I literally dropped everything and ran out to search for it.

Again, a magnificent cover and an even more intriguing title.  These Things Hidden begins with Allison Glenn’s release from prison.  At 21 years old she’s still full of hope for a new life and putting her past mistakes behind her.  Slightly naïve despite having spent the last 5 years in prison Allison believes that her parents and sister will be thrilled to welcome her home and she can begin again where she left off.

Once the golden girl, Allison exceeded expectations in everything she did.  Academics, five sports, beauty, you name it Allison had accomplished it.  Her younger sister Brynn spent her whole life both admiring and loathing Allison.  When Allison finally makes a mistake it ends up costing both sisters more than either bargained for.

The story ricochets from both Allison & Brynn’s point of view and even includes other characters as well.  Their roles are all a mystery until nearly the end of the book.  The writing is melodic and lyrical.  Beautiful despite the topic.  Heather unfolds the story piece by piece until you believe you know everything there is to know.  Then she takes you along another path, shattering everything you thought you were sure of.

What did I love about the book?  Everything.  Each character had their flaws and their shining moments.  People you begin to dislike surprise you.  No one is who you think they are and in the end you are left sad, but with the edges softened by the love and sacrifice portrayed.  The writing is magnificent.  I loved it.

What did I hate?  That’s it’s over.

2 comments:

  1. I've put this on my reading list! I love these types of books - thanks for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You'll have to let me know what you think of it. It's so hard to write reviews sometimes on books that I really love. I just want to give everything away! Hope you love it too!

    ReplyDelete

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much