Friday, April 1, 2011

songs to make you cry

I generally listen to music for the lyrics.  Sometimes I will find a singer’s voice somewhat unappealing, but the lyrics hit home somehow and I’ll listen to it endlessly.  Sure, I have some fun music that I just like to dance around to but the stuff I listen to the most is because I love what it’s saying to me.

Ray is not the same.  He listens to what sounds good to him.  Today I discovered that Emma is like me.

We were driving home from my parents’ house and I was listening to Landslide, one of my favorite songs.  Apparently, the line ‘children get older’ really disturbed Emma.  She started crying and saying that the song reminds her of getting old and she really doesn’t want to.  She wants to stay a ‘children’ forever.  She was actually crying!  She asked me if we could please not listen to this song anymore.

So I changed it.  And I thought about Miranda Lambert’s The House That Built Me song.  How when Emma heard the line ‘my favorite dog is buried in the yard’ she got a little teary and said ‘that’s just so sad.’

And I realized, I’m going to have to be much more careful about what we listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. or hate. don't mind either, but if you leave the hate be prepared. i bite back.

Disqus for know-it-not-so-much